MARCH 20, 2023
We have been informed over the weekend of a recent phone scam taking place with our customers. Customers are being contacted from a mirrored number that displays as BankSouth on the caller ID. The caller is requesting immediate money for transfer.
Please note that BankSouth will NEVER call and request access to online banking and/or immediate transfers from its customers.
How to Avoid and Report Scams
What BankSouth WILL ask for over the phone to verify your identity:
- Last four digits of your SSN (never the full number).
- Your address.
- Your birthday.
What BankSouth WON’T ask for over the phone:
- Your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- The CVV (Card Verification Value) on the back of your debit card.
- Your online banking login credentials.
- Your security code for online banking.
What to do if you fall for a bank scam:
- Contact BankSouth immediately at 706.453.2265.
- Secure your email and other communication accounts.
- Monitor credit reports and consider placing a fraud alert on them.
- Consider contacting the Federal Trade Commission to report an ID theft incident, and filing a report with local law enforcement.
Here are some tips to avoid scams:
- Don’t give money, personal information, or account numbers to people or companies you don’t know or trust.
- Resist the pressure to act immediately.
- Ask questions.
- Hang up on any bank impersonator calls.
For more information and recently reported scams, read this article from us or visit banksneveraskthat.com.